For True MS Exchange like experience for Sharing & Collaboration Right From Outlook
MS Exchange Like experience with respect to sharing and collaboration right from Outlook. In fact there are few things which even native Outlook + MS Exchange doesn't allow but the same is available on MAPI Connector which is available for FREE for all Hosted Groupware Accounts. The MAPI Connector for Outlook has both Offline and Online mode working thus allowing to work even when offline. Few of striking features that are available on MAPI Connector for Outlook are as noted below:
- Offline (Cache Mode) Working: MAPI Connector configuration allows you to configure "Complete Download Of Message" as default configuration so as to enable you to have all data available as local pst file which enables you to work even while internet connectivity is not there. Once the connectivity between server and client is resumed, all changes are synchronized between server and client.
- Per folder Synchronization Policy: This allows to override the default global setting on per folder basis. So for example you may have set "Download Complete Message" as default global setting, but you can set "Download Header & Body" say for Sent Items folder and "Download Header" for Junk Mail folder. Synchronization levels have four configurable values:
Download Header: This downloads only header. Complete mail is downloaded when mail is accessed.
Download Header + Body: This will download only header and body and any mail with attachments will have attachments downloaded only when mail is accessed.
Download Complete Message: This will download complete message including attachments.
Disable Automatic Background Download: This will start synchronization only when folder is accessed.
- Change Password From Outlook: This allows you to change your account password right fro Outlook. This is helpful when the administrator has enforced Password Expiry policy. No need to login to WEBMAIL to change password. Not Many MAPI Connector for Outlook offer this feature.
- Manage Global Permissions: Set your visibility of Free/Busy status, Allow users to Send mail on your behalf.
- Configure Folder Sharing Rights With Other Users: Share any of your folders with any other user on same domain and can also set access rights and is fully interoperable with the Outlook defaults as you would have on native Outlook + MS Exchange setup. Each and every folder owned by you can be shared with any user(s) on domain with each user having different access rights as defined by you. So share Mail folders, Calendars, tasks, Journal, Notes with any other user on domain. Cross domain sharing is not allowed due to security reasons.
- Open and Close Other Users Folders: Open other users folder if you have been allowed sharing by the other user. The folder would by default have a synchronization policy of "Disable Automatic Background Downloads" so you will have to manually configure the same in case you would want some other synchronization policy.
- Manage Out Of Office Notifications: Set and Manage Out Of Office Notifications right from Outlook. No need to login to WEBMAIL to manage this.
- Manage Server side Filters: Set filters from Outlook and entire filter rules are updated on server as well so as to ensure that your Outlook, WEBMAIL and Handheld are exact mirror of each other. From AJAX WEBMAIL you can apply any already set filters retroactively.
- Access Domain Contacts And Public Contacts (Global Address Lists): Domain Contacts and Public Contacts (managed by postmaster) is visible on your Outlook if your administrator has allowed you access.
- See Free/Busy status and Schedule Meetings: If all users have allowed their Free/Busy status to be visible to all, then you can schedule meetings and see the free/busy status using the Scheduling Tab in Outlook. Share you calendars with other users.
- Modify Your Contact Information: Entire Contact Information can be modified (and all fields are Outlook interoperable) from Outlook and same immediately gets updated in Domain Contacts Global address list ensuring that all users on system are viewing your most current data. This can also be updated by the Administrator from admin interface.
So stated briefly, all the native Outlook + MS Exchange experience can be had here as the connector is a true API connector and not some half baked attempt which is found on few systems which try to emulate Outlook + Exchange like setup. For further details on MAPI Connector for Outlook please refer the documentation on same available in Help Section of this site.
Outlook Connector Screen Shots
Set Folder Sharing Permissions.
Manage Global Permissions from Outlook
Other users folder opened in Outlook